- Title: Dead to Me
- Author: Lesley Pearse
- Publisher: Michael Joseph, an imprint of Penguin Random House
- Date: 2016 (Paperback edition releasing May 2017)
- Genre: Fiction
- Format: Soft cover
- Recommended selling price: R110 (Paperback)
- ISBN 9781405921046
I’ve just finished reading Lesley Pearse’s Dead to Me. Set in the UK before (from 1935) and during World War II it describes the friendship of two friends, Verity and Ruby. It is a riveting, although fairly long (at over 500 pages), read.
It is the first book by Leasley Pearse that I have read and I am a fan. It is meticulously researched and the historical bits just fall into place seamlessly and without the slightest didactic feel.
It is difficult to pin the genre down. There is a lot of family drama, a bit of romance, some crime, several murders, a bit of suspense, and historical fiction.
I enjoyed this novel immense and as it built to its conclusion, my reading became compulsive.
I give it a solid 9/10 as a work of fiction.
Penguin Random House is thrilled to announce that Lesley Pearse will be coming to South Africa in May 2017! They are privileged to host Lesley in a series of events as she promotes the paperback release of Dead to Me in Johannesburg, Durban, and Cape Town. Lesley’s latest novel, Woman in the Wood, will also be releasing in July this year.
All of Leslie’s events are listed here: http://www.penguinrandomhouse.co.za/lesley-pearse-events-south-africa
- Wednesday, 10 May: 18h00 – Writer’s Write Dinner at Ten Bompas Hotel.
- Thursday, 11 May: 08h30 – “Bubbles, Breakfast and Books” at Social Kitchen & Bar, Exclusive Books Hyde Park. Lesley will be in conversation with Michele Magwood (Sunday Times).
- Thursday, 11 May: 18h30 – Author Q+A event at Skoobs bookstore in Monte Casino.
- Saturday, 13 May: Kingsmead Book Fair.
- Monday, 15 May: Book launch
- Wednesday, 17 May: 18h00 – Book Launch at Exclusive Books Cavendish.
- Friday 19 – Sunday 21 May: Franschoek Literary Festival.